Warning: CO Poisoning in St Louis area households

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is a reality for many American households and one of the most underrated and reported tragedies of the holiday season. The business of meal preparation and keeping the home comfy and toasty during Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and other holiday celebrations can expeditiously go wrong. Environments with insufficient ventilation and moisture are vulnerable to CO poisoning.

Healthy indoor air quality also entails adequate ventilation. To prevent CO fatalities, always have the heating system inspected and cleaned by a licensed HVAC contractor before the winter season commences. There are many gases, electrical components and more that need to be maintained on an annual basis.

In smaller sized homes and apartments, try to bake the turkey in the oven with windows and/or a door cracked to promote cross ventilation. Outdoor cooking appliances, such as gas and charcoal burning grills, are unsuitable for cooking the Thanksgiving dinner inside. This tenet applies to the fireplace too. Grilling the turkey indoors on the hearth as well as using charcoal grill indoors is a detrimental hazard.

Enclosed rooms are hypersensitive to carbon monoxide poisoning. Inadequately vented gas appliances attribute to the leading cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. Improperly placed and maintained space heaters, kerosene heating units, fireplaces, and generators are a combustion atrocity waiting to transpire.

The installation of a carbon monoxide detector prevents CO poisoning, which interrupts the arteries ability to transport blood to the tissues, the brain, heart and other vital organs. A feeling of lethargy, nausea, headaches, disorientation and dizziness are symptomatic of carbon monoxide poisoning. Concentrated levels of carbon monoxide are fatal. Hoffmann Brothers offers low level CO detectors starting at $120 installed. They will alert you at the lowest levels of CO so you can prevent anything before it gets serious. These are great for households with children, pregnant woman or elderly, who are more susceptible to the effects of even low levels of CO.

An annual inspection of the gas furnace, and the entire heating system prevent CO poisoning and other combustible tragedies. Contact Hoffmann Brothers to schedule your maintenance on your Furnace or Boiler. Call our offices at (314) 664-3011.”

Sharing is Caring

Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn

Comments are closed.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get exclusive content like this delivered to your inbox.