Emergency Preparation Questions for Business Owners
Hoffmann Brothers Mechanical Contractors put safety preparation as a top priority, because you just never know when disaster or emergencies can happen. Some questions as a business owner you should ask yourself are:
- Does your commercial building have a contingency plan?
- What is your commercial building’s crisis management plan?
- Earthquakes, floods, bioterrorism, chemical spills and other natural disasters represent a short list of emergency situations facing St. Louis, MO commercial property owners. Have you discussed a plan for each?
The Most Common Emergencies for St Louis, MO
Flooding and tornadoes represent the most common potential natural disasters for the greater St Louis area. Missouri is among 37 other states vulnerable to earthquakes. The New Madrid seismic zone produced quadruple earthquakes magnitudes, ranging above 7.0 on the Richter scale, during the winter of 1811 to 1812.
How to Prepare for a Commercial Property Emergency
Hoffmann Brothers Mechanical Contractors prescribes five rudimentary tactics to help prepare your business for an Emergency:
- Schedule an inspection on your building’s mechanical system to identify any combustive or air quality problems. Your commercial building mechanics play a vital role in emergency prevention. Well maintained boilers, furnaces, roof top units and other HVAC-Rs complement workplace safety, preventing unforeseen scenarios.
- Compile all emergency supplies for the occupants of the building (for example: hazmat, emergency kit).
- Organize a safety and emergency task force to help plan and institute drills and other urgent contingencies. Create a schedule for practice drills.
- Designate a location to use as a shelter in the event of an emergency situation. Basements and spaces away from windows serve as ideal locations to quarantine occupants in the event of an emergency.
- Install a building automation system (BAS) to monitor and defend your commercial property’s safety.
- Remain apprised of local emergency events and evacuation to plan accordingly.
Hoffmann Brothers can help with a lot of these tactics, request service or call our office to talk to our Commercial Advisor at (314) 664-3011.