Annual maintenance for your HVAC system is very important – especially as the seasons change from one to the next. As summer turns to fall and then to winter, you want to make sure your AC is well hibernated and your furnace is prepped and ready to keep your family warm through the coldest days and nights ahead.
Scheduling annual HVAC maintenance will keep your heating and cooling system running at peak performance, avoid breakdowns, and minimize the need for repairs.
Air Conditioner Seasonal Maintenance
Hoffmann Brothers can help you winterize your air conditioner with AC maintenance services. Some of the most effective steps you can take include:
- Cleaning around the air conditioning unit
- Changing the filter in the furnace
- Inspecting ductwork for sealing issues and blockages
- Securing electrical connections
- Reviewing Your Utility Bills and Your AC’s Performance – This will help inform your spring preventative maintenance visit where you may need to address repairs or a replacement.
- Consider Installing a Smart Thermostat – It could help your HVAC system run more efficiently and provide cost savings.
Heating System Maintenance: Preparing for Cold Weather
In most cases, heating systems use gas, which adds a layer of importance to keeping that annual HVAC maintenance appointment. There are many safety checks that must be done – ideally in the late fall/early winter by a licensed, trained HVAC contractor who knows what to look for and how to fix any issues.
Hoffmann Brothers technicians can perform maintenance on any type of heating system. Our services include furnace maintenance, heat pump maintenance, and boiler maintenance, as well as services for air handlers, geothermal systems, and ductless HVAC units.
Although, it is important to know that certain factors about your HVAC system could determine the type of maintenance it needs including:
- Your Location
- Level of Use
No matter the system, they all need annual HVAC preventative maintenance. Heater maintenance helps ensure safety against harmful leaks, promotes good indoor air quality and energy savings, as well as prolongs the life of your unit. Not to mention, it helps you avoid breakdowns and system failures when you need heat the most.
What Is the Checklist When Servicing HVAC?
There are a few maintenance tasks you can do yourself, including changing the filter and turning the water on in your furnace’s humidifier (if it has one), checking your carbon monoxide detectors and flue system, and clearing the area around your furnace.
Seasonal HVAC Maintenance Steps We Take
As part of our Home Protection Plan, Hoffmann Brothers will assess and include many of these seasonal heating maintenance steps:
- Check thermostat settings
- Check and inspect the condensate drain
- Thoroughly clean the HVAC unit to remove dirt, soot, or corrosion from the furnace or boiler
- Check the heat exchanger for any cracks and check carbon monoxide (CO) levels throughout your home
- Clean, adjust, and lubricate the blower control
- Regulate the air supply temperature
- Inspect the combustion chamber for fractures and other visible problems
- Run diagnostics on the hot water system, checking the chemical mix, the high-limit control, the pressure tank, and the pressure-release valve
- Analyze both high-water and low-water safety controls
- Monitor the unit’s fuel input and the flames settings
You may also consider having your ductwork cleaned and inspected, especially since the U.S. Department of Energy estimates that the average U.S. home loses 20%-30% of its air due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ducts.
Another reason to keep that annual appointment: The worst-case scenario (think: fires, gas leaks, and combustion due to undetected heating problems) is not always covered by some insurance companies. Therefore, you could be doubly devastated – first by the damage and losses, then by the repairs and replacements needed.
FAQs About HVAC Maintenance
HVAC maintenance service typically takes 1 to 2 hours but can vary depending on the needs of your HVAC system, such as repairs.
Yes, some manufacturers require heating maintenance services to maintain the warranty on the heating or air conditioning system.
You should change your AC filter every 30 to 90 days.
Evaporator coils should be cleaned at least once a year and will be included in your annual HVAC maintenance checklist.
Schedule Your Heating and Cooling Maintenance Today
Don’t delay. Schedule your annual maintenance appointment today with Hoffmann Brothers. We will help you perform air conditioner maintenance and prepare your furnace, boiler, ductless heating system, or geothermal system for its work warming your home this fall and winter.
You can also sign up for the Hoffmann Brothers Home Protection Plan. Through this service, we provide semi-annual maintenance on your heating and air conditioning systems and offer the following benefits:
- Consistent service for your heating and air conditioning system(s)
- 15% discount on all repairs (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and appliance, plus a 5% discount (up to $600) for all installations
- Priority emergency service within 24 hours
- 15% off home plumbing inspections, drain cleaning services, and electrical panel safety inspections
- Reduced diagnostic fees and emergency service fees
- Two annual precision tune-ups, including standard humidifier service and pad
- Free filters for life per industry standards for the duration of your membership
To learn more, visit our Home Protection Plan page or schedule a call with a Hoffmann Brothers team member.
Contact Hoffmann Brothers
Schedule a Service or Request a Bid
"*" indicates required fields